Why are there so many
Songs about rainbows?
And what’s on the other side
Rainbows are visions
But only illusions
And rainbows have nothing to hide
So we’ve been told
And some choose to believe it
I know they’re wrong wait and see
Someday we’ll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me
~ Rainbow Connection
In your everyday job, your everyday career – haven’t you ever wondered “isn’t there better?” Why can’t I be treated better? Why not respectfully? Why only meet the minimums of what the employer must do by law? Why do they not exceed the standard?
A friend of mine often likes to joke that my unofficial motto is “A higher standard.” It certainly is true. I’ll also borrow another slogan I’ve hard – “Think Big. Expect Better.” So why is it as workers we can’t have better?
I believe we can and should have BETTER.
I created Journey to Diversity Workplaces to do just that – to create better. And not just create it, but show how it can be done. Leading by example.
1. We can have a higher standard. That the Employment Standards Act has thresholds that are too low.
2. We should get paid better. Anyone making less than $16/hour full time is living below the poverty line, and to me that is simply UNACCEPTABLE.
3. The employees should have more say. At J2DW, the employees are our Class A members, and the people who will make up the bulk of the voting members.
4. Safe work is a right, and isn’t optional. Freedom from harassment, physical injury, and freedom from discrimination, even with job advancement.
5. Everyone should get a holiday off – even if they have to work it. Why not give a day in lieu?
We can, and must have a better workplace. For happier employees, and happier employers.