Being the token female or minority boss is better for YOUR career than encouraging greater diversity, claims new study
- Researchers found that female or minority managers who tried to promote diversity were treated with suspicion by their bosses and peer
- White male leaders who sought to promote diversity didn’t have the same stigma attached to them
- Female and minority bosses actually benefited from being viewed as token minority representatives at a senior level
- The authors wonder whether it might be better for diversity offices to be run by white males
- ‘Almost all diversity offices are run by non-whites and women, but that further ghettoizes diversity itself and makes it so it’s not taken seriously’
Women and ethnic minorities who reach executive level positions in corporate America have more to lose from encouraging and promoting diversity in the workplace than their white male counterparts, claims a new study.
Researchers from The University of Colorado found that female and minorities managers who tried to encourage greater diversity were treated with suspicion by their peers and bosses who thought they were indulging in selfish favoritism rather than promoting deserving candidates.
White male leaders who sought to promote diversity didn’t have the same stigma attached to them. (Read more…)