*** Please read the entire post right through to the end. Thank you. ***
This is a post-secondary co-op position for Winter 2019 .
Journey to Diversity Workplaces is looking for a volunteer co-op student to take on the role of Grant Writer. This person is responsible for writing proposals for both unrestricted operating revenue and restricted projects and for submitting timely and accurate reports for all existing grant funded projects.
• Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources.
• Perform prospect research on foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants.
• Do research to find grants that we qualify to apply for.
• Work with finance to gather information necessary to report to corporate/foundation funders on current grant programs.
• Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundation/corporate donors.
• Understanding of institutional history and programs.
• Follow up on all grant applications that have been submitted.
• Maintain current records in database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting.
• Track statistics relevant to development and provide department with written materials necessary for donor stewardship (visitor number and diversity, educational program attendance, etc).
• Work with CEO to provide development input for all written institutional materials (including Annual Report, Member magazine).
• Assist with other fundraising projects as requested
Knowledge and Skills
• Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
• Strong editing skills.
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Knowledge of fundraising & grant information sources.
• Experience with proposal writing and institutional donors.
• Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
• Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
• Strong contributor in team environments
• Previous experiewnce with grant writing is an asset.
• Previous experience with non-profit fundraising.
• Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
• Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
• Able to monitor and meet income goals.
This is a volunteer job, generally done from your home office on a schedule approved by your Manager and your fellow team members. You will meet with your team in person or virtually on an agreed-upon schedule and will meet in-person with your manager every two weeks, or so. In-person meetings with your Manager will be in Barrie, Ontario.