Journey to Diversity Workplaces
Member of the Board of Directors
Job Description and Expectations
Purpose: To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of Journey to Diversity Workplaces so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
Mission: Newly incorporated in December, 2013, our mission is to promote diversity in the workplace, and to promote a better workplace with progressive workplace policies.
- Organizational leadership and advisement
- Organization of the board of directors, officers, and committees
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Personnel evaluation and staff development
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and outreach
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of Journey to Diversity Workplaces. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of term: Two years, which may be renewed up to a maximum of four consecutive terms, pending approval of the board.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The board of directors meets year round every two months, except in the month December, on the third Thursday of the month, 7:00 p.m via Skype, with one or two in-person meetings a year. Meetings typically last 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Committees of the board meet an average of four times per year, pending their respective work agenda.
- Board members are asked to attend special events no more than twice a year.
Expectations of board members:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able.
- Participate on a standing committee of the board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by Journey to Diversity Workplaces mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote Journey to Diversity Workplaces mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with Journey to Diversity Workplaces finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of Journey to Diversity Workplaces.